CWG 2014: Milkha Singh delighted with Vikas Gowda`s gold in athletics
Chandigarh: Milkha Singh expressed his delight after Vikas Gowda won the gold medal in the men`s discus throw at the ongoing 20th Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
Speaking from Chandigarh Milkha said, "I feel proud with Vikas`s achievement and with those of our other sportsmen and women who have won medals in Glasgow. I compliment and congratulate them for making India proud. They are the real ambassadors of India and the credit goes to their parents too."
"Since 1930 India has seen very few gold medals in athletics. In 2010 Krishnia Poonia won a gold in discus throw and the ladies relay team won in the 4x400 mtrs. But this is very little for a country of our size. Athletics, according to me is the mother of all sports and I would like to see India do well in it.
"Vikas has proved that he has it in him and I would love to see him and others who will be inspired by him win a gold for India in the forthcoming Olympics. I wish them all well and offer my blessings."
Milkha Singh was the first Indian to win a gold medal in athletics at the Commonwealth Games. He won the gold in 400 mtrs at the 1958 Commonwealth Games, which were held in Cardiff, with a time of 46.71 secs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Uganda switches sides, dumping North Korea for South
- Indian Premier League 2016: Did David Warner deserve Most Valuable Player award more than Virat Kohli?
- Suicide bombings in Baghdad: Over 20 killed, 50 injured in series of attacks
- Know why PM Narendra Modi is asking for your support for particular task - WATCH
- Nepali Congress halts House over ''budget leak''