CWG 2014: Milkha Singh delighted with Vikas Gowda`s gold in athletics
Chandigarh: Milkha Singh expressed his delight after Vikas Gowda won the gold medal in the men`s discus throw at the ongoing 20th Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
Speaking from Chandigarh Milkha said, "I feel proud with Vikas`s achievement and with those of our other sportsmen and women who have won medals in Glasgow. I compliment and congratulate them for making India proud. They are the real ambassadors of India and the credit goes to their parents too."
"Since 1930 India has seen very few gold medals in athletics. In 2010 Krishnia Poonia won a gold in discus throw and the ladies relay team won in the 4x400 mtrs. But this is very little for a country of our size. Athletics, according to me is the mother of all sports and I would like to see India do well in it.
"Vikas has proved that he has it in him and I would love to see him and others who will be inspired by him win a gold for India in the forthcoming Olympics. I wish them all well and offer my blessings."
Milkha Singh was the first Indian to win a gold medal in athletics at the Commonwealth Games. He won the gold in 400 mtrs at the 1958 Commonwealth Games, which were held in Cardiff, with a time of 46.71 secs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack