CWG 2014: Pinki brings India`s first boxing medal
Glasgow: Pinki Rani brought home India`s first boxing medal from the 2014 Commonwealth Games though she lost her women`s 48-51 kg semi-final bout and had to settle for the bronze at the SECC Hall here Friday.
The Haryana pugilist gave a tough fight to Michaela Walsh but the Northern Ireland woman`s height and better reach helped her win all the four rounds of two minutes each.
While Judge A gave both the boxers a total of 38 points from the available 40, Judge B gave Michaela a perfect 40, four more than Pinki. Judge C too ruled in favour of Michaela, awarding her 39 points to Pinki`s 37.
Pinki made it to the Commonwealth Games after knocking out Olympic bronze medallist Mary Kom in the qualifiers held in India.
L. Sarita Devi, Devendro Singh, Mandeep Jangra and Vijender Singh will fight in their respective semi-final bouts later in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video