CWG 2014: Pinki brings India`s first boxing medal
Glasgow: Pinki Rani brought home India`s first boxing medal from the 2014 Commonwealth Games though she lost her women`s 48-51 kg semi-final bout and had to settle for the bronze at the SECC Hall here Friday.
The Haryana pugilist gave a tough fight to Michaela Walsh but the Northern Ireland woman`s height and better reach helped her win all the four rounds of two minutes each.
While Judge A gave both the boxers a total of 38 points from the available 40, Judge B gave Michaela a perfect 40, four more than Pinki. Judge C too ruled in favour of Michaela, awarding her 39 points to Pinki`s 37.
Pinki made it to the Commonwealth Games after knocking out Olympic bronze medallist Mary Kom in the qualifiers held in India.
L. Sarita Devi, Devendro Singh, Mandeep Jangra and Vijender Singh will fight in their respective semi-final bouts later in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu