CWG 2014: Pinki brings India`s first boxing medal
Glasgow: Pinki Rani brought home India`s first boxing medal from the 2014 Commonwealth Games though she lost her women`s 48-51 kg semi-final bout and had to settle for the bronze at the SECC Hall here Friday.
The Haryana pugilist gave a tough fight to Michaela Walsh but the Northern Ireland woman`s height and better reach helped her win all the four rounds of two minutes each.
While Judge A gave both the boxers a total of 38 points from the available 40, Judge B gave Michaela a perfect 40, four more than Pinki. Judge C too ruled in favour of Michaela, awarding her 39 points to Pinki`s 37.
Pinki made it to the Commonwealth Games after knocking out Olympic bronze medallist Mary Kom in the qualifiers held in India.
L. Sarita Devi, Devendro Singh, Mandeep Jangra and Vijender Singh will fight in their respective semi-final bouts later in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP