CWG 2014: Vikas Thakur bags silver in weightlifting
Glasgow: Writhing in pain, young Vikas Thakur produced the lift of his lifetime to clinch the bronze medal in men`s 85kg weightlifting, as Indian lifters continued their spectacular show in the 20th Commonwealth Games here today.
Thakur lifted 333kg (150+183) to bag the silver while Richard Patterson of New Zealand won the gold with a total lift of 335kg (151+184). Canada`s Pascal Plamondon was third with 333kg (151+182), but Thakur bagged the silver on lesser bodyweight.
There was drama towards the end as Patterson`s second attempt of 184kg in clean and jerk was declared no lift but he made a clean lift in a tense situation to bag the gold.
The Indian camp waited anxiously as Thakur would have won the gold if Patterson had failed in his third attempt.
But that did not happen as the New Zealander lifted 184kg clean and Thakur hand to be content with a silver.
Thakur was trailing at third with a lift of 150kg after completion of snatch though the gap with the leaders -- Patterson and Plamondon -- was just one kilogram.
The Indian beagn with 142kg and then went onto lift 147kg and 150kg in his next two attempts.
Patterson, the favourite and last year`s Commonwealth Championships winner, began with 147kg and lifted 151kg in his second attempt. He went for 154kg in his third attempt but failed to lift it.
The 20-year-old Thakur had finished second in the Commonwealth Championships.
In clean and jerk, Thakur went for 179kg in his first attempt, but could not lift it. But he was successful in his second attempt to jump to the top spot. Canada`s Pascal Plamondon then lifted 182kg to take the top spot.
Thakur was non-plussed and he came out to lift 182kg to total 333kg and equal Plamondon at the top.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India