Fit-again Danish wants to support Sardar in Glasgow CWG
Glasgow: Back in the national fold after recovering from a knee injury, experienced midfielder Danish Mujtaba wants to provide as much support as possible to captain Sardar Singh in Indian hockey team`s campaign at the upcoming Commonwealth Games here.
Danish, who was suffering from a knee injury since May last year, was part of the squad that went on a preparatory tour to The Hague, Netherlands just ahead of the World Cup but did not find a place in the main team for the quadrennial event, where India finished a lowly ninth.
"I made a comeback in the team. My focus will be to support captain Sardar Singh in the midfield and in the process provide the required balance to both the forward line as well as the defence," he said.
"Apart from Sardar our midfield has other players like Dharamvir Singh, Chinglensana Singh and Manpreet Singh and I believe this makes us a formidable line-up.
"Also I believe that the faster we play, better chances will open up for us," added Danish, who has 111 international caps to his credit.
Besides Danish another senior player Gurwinder Singh Chandi is also making a return to the national team after a long injury lay-off.
In the Glasgow Games, India is placed along side Wales, Scotland, Australia and South Africa in Pool A in the men`s hockey competition while Canada, England, Malaysia, New Zealand and Trinidad and Tobago complete Pool B.
India will open their campaign against Wales on July 25, followed by games against hosts Scotland (July 26), Australia (July 29) and South Africa (July 31).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Each passing year is a reward for me, says Amitabh Bachchan on his 73rd birthday
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- How Twitteratis reacted to PM Modi calling Prakash Singh Badal 'Nelson Mandela'
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off