Fitting CWG farewell for Abhinav Bindra
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
New Delhi: Ace Indian marksman, Abhinav Bindra, on Friday hogged the limelight by clinching the gold medal in 10 m air rifle event in the Commonwealth Games at Glasgow.
The sole Indian to win an Olympic gold individually, Bindra once again proved his class at world stage by scoring 205.3 to give India its third gold medal in the 20th Commonwealth Games.
In his pet event, the 31-year-old kept his cool till the very end and eventually gave the Indians another reason to cheer for.
Surprisingly, Bindra, who is taking part in his fifth CWG, had never won an individual medal in the tournament. Though, the first and only Indian to have held both the World and Olympic titles at the same time, had won eight Commonwealth Games medals in team events.
Before the start of the Games, Bindra had announced that this Glasgow Games would be his last appearance at the CWG. And today by winning a gold medal, he gave himself a fitting farewell.
For India, the first two medals on day two came from shooting, as the first medal of the day was won by unheralded teenager Malaika Goel, who won silver in the women`s 10m Air Pistol event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Superstar Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' hits screens; fans disappointed as tickets sold out
- Curfew continues across Kashmir Valley as separatists extend shutdown till Monday
- France committed to leading Israel-Palestine talks: Hollande
- US sues Pennsylvania town for ban on building mosque
- Turkey temporarily suspends human rights convention after failed coup