Fitting CWG farewell for Abhinav Bindra
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
New Delhi: Ace Indian marksman, Abhinav Bindra, on Friday hogged the limelight by clinching the gold medal in 10 m air rifle event in the Commonwealth Games at Glasgow.
The sole Indian to win an Olympic gold individually, Bindra once again proved his class at world stage by scoring 205.3 to give India its third gold medal in the 20th Commonwealth Games.
In his pet event, the 31-year-old kept his cool till the very end and eventually gave the Indians another reason to cheer for.
Surprisingly, Bindra, who is taking part in his fifth CWG, had never won an individual medal in the tournament. Though, the first and only Indian to have held both the World and Olympic titles at the same time, had won eight Commonwealth Games medals in team events.
Before the start of the Games, Bindra had announced that this Glasgow Games would be his last appearance at the CWG. And today by winning a gold medal, he gave himself a fitting farewell.
For India, the first two medals on day two came from shooting, as the first medal of the day was won by unheralded teenager Malaika Goel, who won silver in the women`s 10m Air Pistol event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling