Glasgow Games to be Abhinav Bindra`s last CWG appearance
Glasgow: India`s lone individual gold medallist in Olympics, Abhinav Bindra today said the ongoing Commonwealth Games here will be his last appearance at the multi-sport extravaganza.
"Tom I will compete in my 5 th cwg. This will be my last appearance at the games Hope to have some fun. Cont," Bindra tweeted a day ahead of beginning his campaign in the 20th Games.
The 31-year-old Bindra scripted history when he clinched the gold medal in his pet event - 10-metre men`s air rifle - at the Beijing Olympics in 2008.
Though he has, in his trophy cabinet, the ultimate prize all athletes dream of, Bindra has so far failed to win a individual gold medal in his pet event in Commonwealth Games. He, however, had won the pairs gold in Manchester (2002), Melbourne (2006) and in front of the home crowd in New Delhi fours years ago.
The champion shooter will look to end his CWG career on a high by winning the gold in singles event tomorrow.
"Been a great journey which started as 15 year old at the kl games and have 8 cwg medals so far.
"So friends pray and wish me some luck :-)," Bindra wrote on his twitter handle.
If he can replicate the form that saw him clinch the top prize in Beijing six years ago and become the first individual yellow metal winner from India in the biggest sporting event, a CWG gold would not seem a far-fetched dream.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi