Indian paddlers register easy victories on Day 2 of CWG
Glasgow: Indian paddlers continued their rampaging form as the men`s and women`s teams blanked Guyana and Kenya 3-0 respectively in the group stage of the table tennis team competition at the 20th Commonwealth Games here on Friday.
After thrashing Vanuatu 3-0 on the opening day, the Indian men`s team continued their good showing with Anthony Amalraj brushing aside Shamar Britton 11-4 11-3 11-3 to give his side an early lead.
Young Soumyajit Ghosh then beat Christopher Franklin 11-8 11-5 11-9 to make it 2-0 in India`s favour. Sanil Shankar Shetty and Amalraj then paired up to get the better of Paul David and Franklin 11-8 11-6 11-5 to complete the rout.
The women`s team, surprise silver medallists in Delhi four years ago, too dished out a dominating performance with Poulomi Ghatak inflicting a 11-4 11-3 11-5 defeat on Jinita Azad Kumar Shah to give India a 1-0 advantage.
Manika Batra, 19, then trounced 39-year-old Sejal Dipan Thakkar 11-7 11-4 11-4 in the second match.
Ankita Das and Poulomi Ghatak then joined hands to complete the proceedings for India with a 11-6 11-5 11-5 win over Della Mgenya Njani and Sejal at the Scotstoun Sports Campus here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!