Narayan Singh in final of hammer throw, Om Prakash 6th in shot put
Glasgow: Hammer thrower Narayan Singh Chandrodaya was the only Indian to qualify for the final round in a disappointing outing for the Indians on the second day of athletics competition in the 20th Commonwealth Games here today.
Chandrodaya finished fifth with 67.95m in qualification group A but his effort was good enough to make it to the final rounds of hammer throw competition at Hampden Park here. The other Indian in the fray, Kamalpreet Singh finished sixth in qualification round B to miss out on finals. He came up with an effort of 65.25m, well below his season`s and personal best of of 70.37m.
Shot putter Om Prakash Karhana`s disappointing performance in the last few years continued as he finished sixth in the final round. Om Prakash could come up with only 18.73m, well below his season`s best of 19.74m.
Richards O`Dayne of Jamaica won the gold with a Games Record of 21.61m while Tom Walsh of New Zealand bagged the silver in 21.19m. Canada`s Tim Nedow was third in 20.59m.
In women`s 400m race, M R Poovamma failed to advance to the final round after finishing fifth in semifinals number one with an effort of 52.88secs. She finished 14th overall.
Poovamma has a personal best of 52.75secs while her season`s best is 51.73secs.
Shradha Narayana also failed to advance to the finals after finishing sixth in the semifinal number one with a timing of 11.71secs. Narayana, who has a season`s and personal best of 11.39secs, finished 20th overall.
In men`s para-sport discus throw F42/44 finals, Jai Deep finished fourth with a best throw of 38.68m.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH