Need to have physios, doctors during tournaments: Amit Kumar Dahiya
New Delhi: Indian wrestlers returned home from the Commonwealth Games with a rich haul of 13 medals, an achievement that became more creditable today after it was revealed by gold medallist Amit Kumar that they accomplished the feat without the assistance of any physios or doctors.
Olympic medallists -- Sushil Kumar and Yogeshwar Dutt -- led the charge as Indian wrestlers lived up to the expectations with 13 out of 14 grapplers winning medals, including five gold.
Besides, they also won six silver and two bronze.
But if gold medallist in 57kg freestyle, Amit is to be believed, the grapplers did it only with the help of their coaches even as other countries had physios, doctors and masseurs accompanying them.
"Only during the bouts, a physio was there with us. But while we practice, we get injured and that is the time when we need a physio or a doctor. It is only the coaches who are available during our practice sessions.
"So, there`s an urgent need to appoint physios and doctors fully dedicated to the wrestlers," Amit
said on the sidelines of a function organised by JSW Sports Excellence Program to felicitate medal winners at the Glasgow Games.
"Sooner its done, it we would be able to give better results," he added.
Amit, who became the youngest wrestler to represent India at the London Olympics in 2012, said he has now set his eyes on the upcoming Asian Games.
"I have already started practicing for the Asian Games and hoping to win a medal there also."
He, however, admitted that the competition at the Asian Games would be much tougher with grapplers from Japan, Korea relying more on their speed.
"I am practicing keeping in mind how the wrestlers from Japan, Korea and Iran fight. They rely a lot on speed and I am also trying to practice accordingly. I am working on my speed and stamina.
"In CWG there were not many wrestlers who would rely on speed. The competition would be much tighter and tougher than what was in Glasgow," Amit pointed out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- SHOCKING! Heads of Moroccan Islamist movement caught having sex on the beach
- Saturn's moon Dione reveals its contrasting features to NASA's Cassini! - See pic
- Divine coincidence! After 5000 years, this 'shubh muhurat' occurs again on Krishna Janmashtami this year—FIND OUT
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh to visit Kashmir on Wednesday
- No water for OP Jaisha: Here's what Virat Kohli's former coach Rajkumar Sharma has to say about it