Need to have physios, doctors during tournaments: Amit Kumar Dahiya
New Delhi: Indian wrestlers returned home from the Commonwealth Games with a rich haul of 13 medals, an achievement that became more creditable today after it was revealed by gold medallist Amit Kumar that they accomplished the feat without the assistance of any physios or doctors.
Olympic medallists -- Sushil Kumar and Yogeshwar Dutt -- led the charge as Indian wrestlers lived up to the expectations with 13 out of 14 grapplers winning medals, including five gold.
Besides, they also won six silver and two bronze.
But if gold medallist in 57kg freestyle, Amit is to be believed, the grapplers did it only with the help of their coaches even as other countries had physios, doctors and masseurs accompanying them.
"Only during the bouts, a physio was there with us. But while we practice, we get injured and that is the time when we need a physio or a doctor. It is only the coaches who are available during our practice sessions.
"So, there`s an urgent need to appoint physios and doctors fully dedicated to the wrestlers," Amit
said on the sidelines of a function organised by JSW Sports Excellence Program to felicitate medal winners at the Glasgow Games.
"Sooner its done, it we would be able to give better results," he added.
Amit, who became the youngest wrestler to represent India at the London Olympics in 2012, said he has now set his eyes on the upcoming Asian Games.
"I have already started practicing for the Asian Games and hoping to win a medal there also."
He, however, admitted that the competition at the Asian Games would be much tougher with grapplers from Japan, Korea relying more on their speed.
"I am practicing keeping in mind how the wrestlers from Japan, Korea and Iran fight. They rely a lot on speed and I am also trying to practice accordingly. I am working on my speed and stamina.
"In CWG there were not many wrestlers who would rely on speed. The competition would be much tighter and tougher than what was in Glasgow," Amit pointed out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH