President congratulates Commonwealth Games medal winners
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee Friday congratulated sportspersons who won medals at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow Thursday.
The president congratulated Lalita, Bijneesh Bajrang, Sakshi Malik, Satyavrat Kadian, Santoshi Matsa, Navjot Kaur and Swati Singh for the "impressive accomplishment" in their respective disciplines and gave his "best wishes for future success".
In separate letters, Mukherjee said: "Your achievement shows that Indian sports persons can achieve the pinnacle of any sport at the international level."
Silver medals were bagged by Lalita in the women`s freestyle 53 kg wrestling, Bijneesh Bajrang in men`s freestyle 61 kg wrestling, Sakshi Malik in women`s freestyle 58 kg wrestling, Satywart Kadian in men`s freestyle 97 kg wrestling and Santoshi Matsa in women`s 53 kg weightlifting.
Swati Singh and Navjot Kaur won bronze in women`s 53 kg weightlifting and freestyle 69 kg wrestling respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends