Saina Nehwal pulls out of Glasgow Commonwealth Games
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Indian badminton star, Saina Nehwal pulls out of the Glasgow Commonwealth Games. The defending champions is yet to recover from the blisters she had sustained during the Australian Open Super Series winning campaign.
The former world number 2 said that, "I haven`t got enough time to train, don`t want to risk an injury again. Have to be fit for the rest of the season."
In the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games, she won the women`s singles title defeating Mew Wong of Malaysia in three sets. Two years later, in the London Games, she won the bronze medal.
Having won a hosts of titles in the international circuit, Nehwal is a medal hopeful for the Indian contingent at the 20th Commonwealth Games, which starts next week. Recently she won her seventh Super Series title in Sydney, defeating Spaniard Carolina Marin in straight sets.
In her absence, India will hope for a steller performance from her understudy PV Sindu and the doubles pair of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa. The Indian women's team of Nehwal, PV Sindhu, Jwala and Ashwini won the bronze medal in the recent Uber Cup, losing 2-3 to Japan in the semi-finals at Siri Fort Sports Complex.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr