Sharath-Amalraj make men`s doubles semifinals at CWG 2014
Glasgow: India paddlers Sharath Kamal and Anthony Amalraj marched into the men`s doubles semifinals at the Commonwealth Games here on Thursday.
Kamal, who put up a disappointing show in India`s poor team championship campaign, remains in the medal hunt with a convincing win over England`s Danny Reed and Sam Walker 12-10 11-6 7-11 11-8 in the quarterfinals held at the Scotstoun Sports Campus.
However, Kamal and Shamini Kumaresan experienced a bitter loss against Reed and Kelly Sibley in the mixed doubles quarterfinals. The Indians fought back well after losing the plot early but eventually went down 7-11 9-11 11-5 14-12 4-11.
Soumyajit Ghosh and Harmeet Desai lost 12-10 11-9 11-8 11-8 against the mighty Singapore pairing of Gao Ning and Li Hu in another quarterfinal.
Earlier today, rising Indian table tennis player Manika Batra fought her way into the women`s singles quarterfinals while Kamal entered the quarterfinals of men`s doubles and mixed doubles.
Batra, the 19-year-old from Delhi, recovered from a two game deficit to beat Canadian teenager Anqi Luo 11-13 11-7 8-11 11-2 11-7 11-9 at the Scotstoun Sports Campus.
The 159th-ranked Indian meets World No.41 Ye Lin of Singapore in the quarterfinals later today.
In other categories, Kamal-Kumaresan defeated Australia`s David Powell and Jian Fang Lay 11-6 8-11 4-11 13-11 11-7 in the mixed doubles fourth round.
The pair of Kamal and Amalraj were too good for Ryan Jenkins and Stephen Jenkins of Wales in the men`s doubles. The Indians won the third round match 11-8 11-4 11-9.
Desai and Ghosh also entered the last eight stage with a 8-11 11-8 11-6 11-5 win over Northern Ireland`s Paul McCreery and Ashley Robinson.
Kamal, Ghosh and Desai are also scheduled to play their second round matches in the men`s singles later today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’