Sports minister assures CWG athletes will be paid in full
New Delhi: Sports minister Sarbananda Sonowal on Wednesday assured that Indian athletes, competing at the Glasgow Commonwealth Games, will soon be paid their full daily allowance.
Sonowal`s reaction came in the wake of athletes` claims that they have not been paid their daily allowance which was last week increased to USD 50 from USD 25. While squash players have not been paid at all, the table tennis squad has got half of their entitlement.
"As clarified by the sports secretary (Ajit Sharan), the issue will be sorted out soon. The allowance indeed has been doubled. The ministry has done what it needed to," Sonowal said.
"The Indian Olympic Association is handling the affairs in Glasgow. Part of funds could not be transferred as IOA doesn`t have an account there. We have already asked the IOA to do the needful at the earliest. Our athletes has been performing well at the Games and they must get the best of the facilities," added the minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir