Sushil Kumar gets a rousing welcome after returning from CWG
New Delhi: Wrestler Sushil Kumar got a rousing welcome last night after returning home from the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Galsgow, where he bagged a gold medal in wrestling.
Sushil Kumar said, "It was my second tournament in the new weight category. We trained well and had planned to play aggressively which turned out to be successful. I am thankful to the whole country and the Hooda government for all their support and wishes."
"All the team members played very well. Also, I would like to congratulate the women wrestlers for their brilliant performance," he added.
Cricketer Sunil Gavaskar also praised Kumar by saying, "India has emerged as a strong contender in wrestling. It is a proud moment that the results are just like the way players are getting trained."
"All the credit goes to Sushil Kumar. He is the person who has changed the face of games in India. Today, every nation is scared to compete with India," he added.
The Glasgow Commonwealth Games saw many young sportsmen rising to fame with their extraordinary performances, adding to the medals tally for India.
Two time Olympic winner Sushil Kumar, too, bagged the gold medal in men`s 74 kg freestyle category by defeating Pakistan`s Qamar Abbas.
In wrestling events, India has won five gold, six silver and two bronze medals.
India had sent a 224 member contingent at 2014 CWG Glasgow which started from July 23 and will conclude on August 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister