Sushil Kumar gets a rousing welcome after returning from CWG
New Delhi: Wrestler Sushil Kumar got a rousing welcome last night after returning home from the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Galsgow, where he bagged a gold medal in wrestling.
Sushil Kumar said, "It was my second tournament in the new weight category. We trained well and had planned to play aggressively which turned out to be successful. I am thankful to the whole country and the Hooda government for all their support and wishes."
"All the team members played very well. Also, I would like to congratulate the women wrestlers for their brilliant performance," he added.
Cricketer Sunil Gavaskar also praised Kumar by saying, "India has emerged as a strong contender in wrestling. It is a proud moment that the results are just like the way players are getting trained."
"All the credit goes to Sushil Kumar. He is the person who has changed the face of games in India. Today, every nation is scared to compete with India," he added.
The Glasgow Commonwealth Games saw many young sportsmen rising to fame with their extraordinary performances, adding to the medals tally for India.
Two time Olympic winner Sushil Kumar, too, bagged the gold medal in men`s 74 kg freestyle category by defeating Pakistan`s Qamar Abbas.
In wrestling events, India has won five gold, six silver and two bronze medals.
India had sent a 224 member contingent at 2014 CWG Glasgow which started from July 23 and will conclude on August 3.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged