Telangana govt plans `sports city` around Hyderabad
Hyderabad: The Telangana government plans to develop a `sports city` around the state capital which would host top level tournaments and help in training sports persons, Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao said here on Wednesday.
Rao made this announcement when prominent sports persons, including shuttlers Saina Nehwal, P V Sindhu, Parupalli Kashyap, chief national coach Pullela Gopichand and shooter Gagan Narang, called on him here today.
"The chief minister has announced cash awards to those who won medals in the Commonwealth Games," a release from his office said.
Rao has announced Rs 50 lakh to those who won a gold medal in the Commonwealth, Rs 25 lakh to those who won a silver and Rs 15 lakh to those who won a bronze.
All the participants would get Rs three lakh each in cash.
The chief minister has also announced an award of Rs 50 lakh each on par with gold medal winners to the coaches Pullela Gopichand and Arifuddin and also wants to write to Government of India for IT exemption on these awards.
Along with the presentation of cash awards, the players will be felicitated on?August 15?on the occasion of Independence Day celebrations.
"The chief minister said that the proposed sports city will be in a position to conduct once in two months some National level or International level or Inter State level sports or games events, and ultimately one day the Olympics is to be hosted," the release said.
The chief minister has agreed to a suggestion to allot the existing stadiums to talented sportspersons to develop academies.
He also desired to have a broad-based meeting with all concerned persons to discuss as to how to go about the proposed `sports city` and also on the sports policy of the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued