Triple jumper Arpinder Singh clinches bronze at Commonwealth Games
Glasgow: Arpinder Singh signed off India`s show in athletics by winning the men`s triple jump bronze at the Commonwealth Games here on Saturday.
South Africa`s Khotso Mokoena won the gold with a season best performance of 17.2 metres while the silver went to Nigeria`s Tosin Oke, who also earned a season best jump of 16.84 metre at the Hampden Park Stadium.
The Amritsar-born Arpinder finished a close third with a best leap of 16.63m which he achieved on his first attempt.
He could not better his mark in the next three attempts with jumps reading 16.46m, 16.31m and 16.09m with fifth and sixth attempts being disqualified.
This is India`s third athletics medal from the Glasgow Games after Vikas Gowda`s gold and Seema Punia`s silver from discus throw.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Women subjected to torture by Mexican police, armed forces: Report
- Cameron tells EU free movement reform `key` to post-Brexit ties: UK govt source
- Shocking! Teenage girl gang-raped inside Delhi school by friend, security guard
- Soon, education till Class 10 may become free
- US, European stocks rise, ending Brexit rout