We conceded penalty corners due to silly mistakes: Sardar Singh
Glasgow: Captain Sardar Singh today said that his side conceded penalty corners through silly mistakes and that has cost the final for India which they lost 0-4 to Australia in men`s hockey gold medal match of the Commonwealth Games here on Sunday.
Sardar said that because of the three goals Australia scored through penalty corner conversions, the world champions need not do much.
"Overall, the team has done well in the tournament. We won a silver and it is always tough against Australia, the best team in the world. So, the team should feel satisfied with the silver," Sardar said after the final match at Glasgow National Hockey Center which was played under heavy downpour.
"But today, our defence was not that good as compared to the earlier matches. We also conceded penalty corners through silly mistakes and we paid the prize for that. The Austrlians were left with not hard work to do as they got the goals through penalty corners," rued Sardar, who came back in the final match after, being suspended from playing in the semi-finals.
He also said that the team made the mistake of not playing aggressively in the initial stages of the match.
"The team played very well against Australia in the pool match and we came back from 0-2 down. But that aggression was lacking in the initial stages of the final match today. We did not play aggressively in the first 10-15 minutes of the match," he added.
Sardar said the team will learn from its mistakes and hope to do better in the Asian Games.
"Many of the players are young and they must have learnt the lessons from this tournament. We will assess our mistakes here and try to improve upon them and do better in the Asian Games," Sardar signed off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi