Bolt blasts officials for reducing Gay`s doping ban
Glasgow (Scotland): Sprint super star Usain Bolt has criticised anti-doping officials for reducing Tyson Gay`s doping ban after he tested positive for an anabolic steroid last year.
Gay and Bolt`s fellow Jamaican sprinter Asafa Powell failed drug tests for oxilofrine in July 2013.
Gay was given a one-year ban and Powell was initially suspended for 18 months.
"I`m not really happy with the situation and how it was done," Bolt said.
"I think for someone like (fellow Jamaican) Asafa (Powell) to get a ban of 18 months for that (stimulant oxilofrine) and then Tyson Gay gets just one year because of cooperating, I think it sends a bad message that you can do it (dope), but if you cooperate with us, we`ll reduce the sentence."
Powell said his ruling was "unfair and unjust", and said a legal supplement he took, Epiphany D1, was contaminated.
He appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport and his ban was subsequently reduced to six months.
Former 100m and 200m world champion Gay could have been banned for up to two years but received a lighter penalty because he co-operated with the US Anti-Doping Agency.
"I don`t think that`s the right way to go," Bolt said.
"... Because you are pretty much telling people that this is a way out, it`s a way of beating the system."
Both Gay and Powell have now returned to action.
Bolt is scheduled to race for the first time this year in the Commonwealth Games 4x100m relay next week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan