Commonwealth Games: Sanjita Khumukcham wins India`s first gold medal; judokas shine on Day 1
Zee Media Bureau/ Suyash Srivastava
Glasgow: India were off to a good start on Day 1 of the Commonwealth Games when Sanjita Khumukcham and Saikhom Mirabai Chanu bagged a gold and silver, respectively, in women`s 48kg weightlifting to open India`s medal account here on Thursday.
While Sanjita won with a total lift of 173kg (77+96), Mirabai grabbed the silver with a cumulative
effort of 170 (75+95) in the absence of other strong competitors.
Nigeria`s Nkechi Opara was a distant third with 162 (70+92).
Sanjita`s total of 173kg missed the Games record, held the name of 2010 CWG gold winner Augustina Nkem Nwaokolo (175kg effort) by two kilograms. Sanjita`s 77kg effort in snatch however equalled Nwaokolo`s Commonwealth Games record.
While the weightlifters made India proud, the judokas too bagged three medals for the Indian team.
Indian judokas Navjot Chana and Shushila Likmabam had to settle with a silver medal each after they failed to clear the final hurdle in the men`s 60kg and women`s 48kg events, respectively.
There was a bronze medal for Kalpana Thoudam who won on the basis of conceding lesser penalty points against Christianne Legentil of Mauritius.
In the men`s 60kg event, Chana, a 2010 Commonwealth Championships gold medallist, lost to Ashley McKenzie of England in the final.
On the other hand, Shushila picked up two penalties against Scottish girl Kimberley Renicks, who won the first gold medal for the hosts in the women`s 48kg category. Kimberly finished off with an ippon as the indoor stadium burst into a thunderous applause.
Expectations were too high from both Shushila and Chana after they put on a brilliant show in their previous rounds. But unfortunately, both weren`t at their best in the final.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India