Commonwealth Games: Shushila Likmabam, Navjot Chana win silver medals in judo
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Indian judokas made a great start to the Glasgow Commonwealth Games as Sushila Likmabam and Navjot Chana won two silver medals in their categories.
Likmabam earlier pinned Chloe Rayner in the women's 48kg category in the semis.
On the other hand, Chana defeated Daniel le Grange of South Africa in their semi-final meeting.
The 30-year-old Navjot Chana, who is employed with Punjab Police, had earlier defeated 23-year-old Tom Pappas of Australia in quarter-final.
While Sushila and Navjot guaranteed medals for India, it was the end of road for Manjeet Nandal, who lost his men's -66kg quarter-final bout to English Colin Oates, who picked up a shido just after the first minute but finished it off with an ippon.
It was an impressive show by Nandal at the 20th CWG Games, where he won both his bouts (Round of 32 and 16) in comprehensive fashion.
The 24-year-old from Haryana first beat Malta's Jeremy Saywell by O-Soto-Gari. In the next round, Nandal got the better of Asa Weithers of Barbados. He had a shido in the first minute but also had two waza-ari to seal the bout comprehensively, entering the last eight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional