Commonwealth Games: Shushila Likmabam, Navjot Chana win silver medals in judo
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Indian judokas made a great start to the Glasgow Commonwealth Games as Sushila Likmabam and Navjot Chana won two silver medals in their categories.
Likmabam earlier pinned Chloe Rayner in the women's 48kg category in the semis.
On the other hand, Chana defeated Daniel le Grange of South Africa in their semi-final meeting.
The 30-year-old Navjot Chana, who is employed with Punjab Police, had earlier defeated 23-year-old Tom Pappas of Australia in quarter-final.
While Sushila and Navjot guaranteed medals for India, it was the end of road for Manjeet Nandal, who lost his men's -66kg quarter-final bout to English Colin Oates, who picked up a shido just after the first minute but finished it off with an ippon.
It was an impressive show by Nandal at the 20th CWG Games, where he won both his bouts (Round of 32 and 16) in comprehensive fashion.
The 24-year-old from Haryana first beat Malta's Jeremy Saywell by O-Soto-Gari. In the next round, Nandal got the better of Asa Weithers of Barbados. He had a shido in the first minute but also had two waza-ari to seal the bout comprehensively, entering the last eight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai