CWG 2014: England beat Scotland to reach hockey semis
Glasgow: England women`s hockey team secured their place in the semi-finals of the Commonwealth Games with a hard-fought 2-1 win over hosts Scotland on Wednesday.
A last four encounter with either India or South Africa now awaits England on Friday for a place in the gold medal match.
With both teams having already beaten Malaysia and Wales and lost to gold medal favouries Australia, second place in Group B was on the line.
Alexa Danson and Susannah Townsend had given England the perfect start as they marched into a 2-0 lead after 27 minutes.
However, Scotland rallied before half-time when Nikki Kidd slammed home a penalty corner and the home side could have provided a sensational comeback in the second-half had it not been for England keeper Maddie Hinch as she made a string of fine saves.
Despite their best efforts, though, Scotland couldn`t find an equaliser and will have to settle for a place in the fifth-place playoff on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum