CWG 2014: Nigerian weightlifter Chika Amalaha in doping shock
Glasgow: Nigerian teenage weightlifter Chika Amalaha has been provisionally suspended from the Commonwealth Games after testing positive in a doping test taken after she won gold in the women`s 53kg category, the Commonwealth Games Federation announced Tuesday.
The 16-year-old Amalaha provided an `A` sample on July 25 which revealed traces of diuretics and masking agents.
She will have a `B` sample tested at a laboratory in London on July 30.
Commonwealth Games Federation chief executive Mike Hooper said: "We (have) issued a formal notice of disclosure to an athlete following an adverse analytical finding as a consequence of an in-competition test.
"That athlete is Nigerian weightlifter Chika Amalaha who was tested on July 25th. That athlete has now been suspended from the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow."
Amalaha snatched a best of 85kg before managing 111kg in the clean and jerk for a total of 196kg, to become the youngest Commonwealth weightlifter gold medallist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan