Dipa Karmakar wins historic bronze in gymnastics at 2014 Commonwealth Games
Glasgow: Young Dipa Karmarkar today scripted history by becoming the first Indian woman gymnast to win a medal at the Commonwealth Games after she bagged a bronze in the vault event here on Thursday.
The 20-year-old from Tripura collected 14.366 points to finish third in the women`s vault final at the SSE Hydro here.
The gold went to England`s Claudia Fragapane who got 14.633 points while Elsabeth Black was second with 14.433 points.
In the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games, Ashish Kumar became the first Indian gymnast to win a medal at the CWG by winning a silver in vault and bronze in floor events.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PDP, Centre not on same page, meet between Mehbooba Mufti and PM Modi critical: Defence expert
- Diabetes drug may help prevent heart disease
- Kashmir unrest: Mehbooba Mufti meets PM Modi, hits out at Pakistan for openly fuelling tension in Valley
- Watch: Mouni Roy, Sanjeeda Sheikh's crazy 'Afghan Jalebi' act will make your day!
- Outline solutions, don't become roadblock to progressive democracy: BJP tells Mamata