Indian TT teams off to solid start at Glasgow Commonwealth Games
Glasgow: Indian men and women`s table tennis team made a comfortable start at the Glasgow Commonwealth Games, defeating Vanuatu and Barbados respectively at the Scotstoun Sports Campus here on Thursday.
The women`s team, surprise silver medallists in Delhi four years ago, blanked Barbados 3-0 courtesy a clinical performance by Shamini Kumaresan, Manika Batra and Madhurika Patkar.
Shamini got the better of Sherric Felix 11-3, 11-2, 11-3 in the opening singles before Manika made it 2-0 beating Anthonette Riley 11-2, 11-5, 11-2.
Shamini then teamed up with Madhurika for the doubles rubber, taking place for the first time at the Games.
They completed the team`s first win of the competition getting past Krystle Harvey and Riley 11-4, 11-4, 9-11, 11-3. The women face Kenya later today.
India`s top player Sharath Kamal was rested for men`s team opener against Vanuatu.
Harmeet Desai won the first singles against Ham Lulu 11-2, 11-3, 11-5. Southpaw Sanil Shetty then defeated Yoshua Shing 11-6, 11-2, 7-11, 11-1.
Shetty and Anthony Amalraj paired up for the doubles to give India a 3-0 win. They beat Alan Lin and Shing 11-6, 11-5, 11-4.
The third seeds next play Northern Ireland later today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred