Mo Farah withdraws from Commonwealth Games` 5000m and 10000m events
Zee Media Bureau/Dattaraj Thaly
New Delhi: In a huge blow to the Commonwealth Games, long and middle distance runner Mo Farah has withdrawn from the quadrennial competition. He was scheduled to participate in two events - 5,000m and 10,000m at the games. Farah is the current double-world and Olympic champion and was among the biggest names in Glasgow.
Farah said: "I have taken the tough decision to withdraw from the Commonwealth Games. The sickness I had two weeks ago was a big setback for me. Training is getting better here in Font Romeu but I need another few weeks to get back to the level I was at in 2012 and 2013. I really wanted to add the Commonwealth titles to my Olympic and World Championships but the event is coming a few weeks too soon for me as my body is telling me it`s not ready to race yet. Best wishes to my fellow athletes in Glasgow."
Last week, the Olympic and world champion had posted photos of him training for the Commonwealth Games at his base in Font Romeu.
In Font Romeu... Trainings going good!! next stop..... commonwealth Games...!! Shabba pic.twitter.com/unxLaBoei5
— Mo Farah (@Mo_Farah) July 16, 2014
The Londoner will continue to remain at his training base to prepare for the European Championships instead of making the trip to Glasgow.
His withdrawal is not only a blow to the Commonwealth Games but also to the medal hopes of the English contingent who are already missing heptathlon favorite Katarina Johnson-Thompson and Jessica Ennis-Hill.
The 31-year-old had also withdrawn from the Glasgow Grand Prix meet and London`s Anniversary Games as he had to be admitted in a United States hospital with abdominal pains.
Farah is the latest addition to the list of big-name absentees like Yahan Blake and Usain Bolt (only running in the relay race) and this news is bound to disappoint the fans of the track and field events.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!