New Zealand`s Joelle King into squash semis in Glasgow
Glasgow: New Zealand`s Joelle King won through to the semi-finals of the women`s squash at the Commonwealth Games on Saturday with a three-game victory over Northern Ireland`s Madeline Perry.
The New Zealander produced a solid performance to beat Perry with a
11-6, 11-4, 11-6 scoreline and will now face the winner of Malaysian world number one Nicol David`s match against Jenny Duncalf.
King, the world number four and third seed in Glasgow, was more satisfied with her performance than her display in the round of 16 win against India`s Joshana Chinappa.
Speaking before David`s win over England`s Duncalf, King, beaten in the quarter-finals in Delhi four years ago, insisted she was not intimidated at the prospect of facing the world`s best player.
The 25-year-old said: "I thought it was a really complete performance. I let it slip a little bit yesterday in terms of concentration and I was really happy that that only happened for maybe two points at the start of the third.
"Madeline was tenacious and fought back and I`m just really glad I was able to hold my concentration, hold on to what I was trying to do and finish that game in three.
"I`m just feeling really good out there. Whoever I play I`ve just got to concentrate on what I`m trying to do and when I focus on that and play how I want to play I think I can beat anyone so that`s going to be my main focus.
"I`m really excited to be in the semi-finals but I`m just trying to take it as any other game, not over-play it and just come back on Sunday and do the same thing again. I`m just stoked to still be playing."
The rest of the women`s and men`s quarter-finals are being played later on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof