Nigerian Blessing Okagbare blessed after romping to 200 metres gold in Glasgow
Glasgow: Blessing by name, blessed by nature, Nigerian sprinter Blessing Okagbare hailed a remarkable sprint double after racing to victory in the women`s 200 metres at the Commonwealth Games on Thursday.
The 25-year-old was in complete control of the final as her blistering speed took her away from the rest of the field and ensured she finished in a time of 22.25 seconds to win her second gold medal in Glasgow.
"It`s amazing," Okagbare, who set a Commonwealth record of 10.85 to win the 100 metres gold on Monday, told reporters. "I feel extremely blessed, it`s not easy to get a medal so it is something to celebrate."
Despite being full of smiles after romping to victory on a damp Hampden Park track, the blonde Nigerian was frustrated that she did not run quicker to join the likes of American Olympic champion Allyson Felix in the sub-22 second club.
"I wanted to run faster, honestly," she said. "I went out in the final and I did not celebrate like I did in the 100 because I saw the time and was a little disappointed.
"I had to balance the weather and two runs in the 200 is just really, really hard. I don’t know why they did that schedule.
"If we had another extra day of 24 hours rest and came back then I would have been able to run faster because I think I`m actually ready to do under 22 seconds."
Okagbare, also an Olympic long jump bronze medallist, has the chance to cap her first Commonwealth Games with a third gold medal when Nigeria compete in the 4x100 relay.
"I am looking forward to it as long as we get to the final after the first run," Okagbare added. "I will come in for the final and if we get there then I will give my best for the nation.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional