Powerlifter Sakina Khatun wins bronze, Basha fails
Glasgow: Indian powerlifter Sakina Khatun won the bronze in the women`s lightweight (up to 61kg) category to give the country its first medal of day 10 of the 2014 Commonwealth Games here Saturday.
Sakina lifted a total weight of 88.2 kg to finish third.
Esther Oyema (136 kg) of Nigeria took home the gold while England`s Natalie Blake took home the silver with a 100.2 kg lift.
But there was disappointment from para powerlifter Farman Basha, who failed to finish in men`s light weight group B. Farman`s first lift of 145 kg was declared `no lift` while his second attempt of 147kg was a `good lift` after which he pulled out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends