`Dumped` Cowan thrilled to lead Australia XI against Sussex
Sydney: Australian batsman Ed Cowan will captain the XI squad in a three-day match against Sussex from Friday at the Sussex County Cricket Club ground, even though he has been dumped from the first and the second Tests.
Current captain Michael Clarke, Brad Haddin, Shane Watson, Chris Rogers, Peter Siddle and Ryan Harris are all being rested in preparation for the resumption of the Ashes Test series, in which Australia trail 2-0.
A report said that Australian Institute of Sport scholar Ashton Turner has been included in the XI as the afore-mentioned players have been rested from the game.
Stating that it is great honour for him to captain an Australian XI on an Ashes tour, Cowan said that even though he would rather have a week off if he were in the team, he has been given a good opportunity to get back in the team by putting runs on the board.
According to Cowan, an opportunity to score runs is a habit that a player wants to adopt permanently.
Meanwhile, the report said that coach Darren Lehmann has advised his team to take a relaxed approach into a match in which their batsmen hope to rediscover some run-scoring form ahead of next week`s third Test at Old Trafford.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed