`Dumped` Cowan thrilled to lead Australia XI against Sussex
Sydney: Australian batsman Ed Cowan will captain the XI squad in a three-day match against Sussex from Friday at the Sussex County Cricket Club ground, even though he has been dumped from the first and the second Tests.
Current captain Michael Clarke, Brad Haddin, Shane Watson, Chris Rogers, Peter Siddle and Ryan Harris are all being rested in preparation for the resumption of the Ashes Test series, in which Australia trail 2-0.
A report said that Australian Institute of Sport scholar Ashton Turner has been included in the XI as the afore-mentioned players have been rested from the game.
Stating that it is great honour for him to captain an Australian XI on an Ashes tour, Cowan said that even though he would rather have a week off if he were in the team, he has been given a good opportunity to get back in the team by putting runs on the board.
According to Cowan, an opportunity to score runs is a habit that a player wants to adopt permanently.
Meanwhile, the report said that coach Darren Lehmann has advised his team to take a relaxed approach into a match in which their batsmen hope to rediscover some run-scoring form ahead of next week`s third Test at Old Trafford.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September