Islamabad: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chief Selector, Mohsin Khan, has said that runaway former wicketkeeper Zulqarnain Haidar would be considered for national selection if the board cleared him to play first-class cricket.
The now retired wicketkeeper had stunned one and all by fleeing the Pakistan team hotel in Dubai hours before the final one-day international against South Africa last year. After reaching London, he had claimed that he had got death threats from a person who wanted him to fix matches, and subsequently sought asylum in the United Kingdom.
Zulqarnain, however, voluntarily withdrew his application for asylum in Britain after the Pakistan government assured him and his family of “the highest level of security” in the country, and returned to Pakistan on Monday despite receiving threatening telephone calls warning him of dire consequences if he arrived in the country.
Zulqarnain, who is presently in Islamabad, said that he was keen to get back to Lahore as soon as possible because he wanted to respond to the PCB charges levelled against him, and get clearance to play domestic cricket again.
“If the board clears him and if he performs well in domestic cricket, he will be under consideration for future tours. But first, he must be cleared to play by the board,” the Daily Times quoted Mohsin, as saying.