`Injured` Clarke expected to play in Champions Trophy meeting with England
Sydney: Australian captain Michael Clarke is expected to face England in their ICC Champions Trophy opener despite the skipper travelling to London for specialist treatment on his longstanding back problem.
The injury flared up again before the final Test of Australia`s 4-0 series loss in India two months ago, and Clarke has been unable to play a part in their Champions Trophy warm-up games, including Tuesday`s hammering by India.
A decision over Clarke`s availability for Saturday`s Edgbaston meeting with England will be taken in due course.
However, George Bailey, who led the side in Clarke`s absence on Tuesday, said that as Clarke was facing some stiffness in his back, the team did not see fit to risk him in warm-up games as a precautionary measure with such an important tournament coming up, adding that it is a case of managing Clarke almost on a day-to-day basis.
Bailey further said that he is hopeful that Clarke will play on Saturday, adding that it would be a huge blow if he is not available, as he is the captain and the best batsman of their side.
Meanwhile, team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris had said that Clarke was left out of the matchday side after he was unable to prove his fitness as he was still experiencing some lower back pain.
Without Clarke, Australia were bundled out for just 65 by India in the warm-up fixture- five runs fewer than their full one-day international record-low total of 70.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly