`KCA will take all efforts to stage some IPL matches in Kochi`
Kozhikode: Kerala Cricket Association would take all efforts to stage some IPL matches at the Jawaharlal Nehru International stadium at Kochi, T C Mathew, the Indian Premier League Governing council member said here on Sunday.
"Arbitration process with regard to Kochi Tuskers is going on. KCA will support any bid from Kerala for an IPL franchise and take every effort to stage some IPL matches in Kochi," he told reporters at the Calicut Pres Club here.
Mathew, also chairman of National Cricket Academy, said KCA had held discussions with Chief Minister Oommen Chandy in this regard and urged for support from everybody.
He said the association has a large number of proposals like setting up indoor stadiums and grounds across 14 districts of the state to promote tourism culture in Kerala.
"In another three years, the association would start 20 first class stadium in 14 districts," said Mathew, who is also President of Kerala Cricket Association.
He claimed KCA was the only state association credited with utilising 66.5 per cent of funds allocated by BCCI.
"South India`s first high altitude cricket stadium in Krishnagiri in hilly Wayanad district would be inaugurated tentatively on November 14 by Kerala Governor Nikhil Kumar," he informed.
"The stadium with international quality pitch also has a viewing gallery in the form of a sloped lawn, where people can sit and watch the matches.
"We do not expect to host International matches. But we are expecting domestic matches and through that we want to enthuse the next generation," Mathew said, adding that efforts would be made to develop the stadium into a Zonal Cricket Academy centre.
Kerala cricket, which once had a small place on the Indian cricket map, has progressed a lot with seven state players now in the IPL, he said, adding this was an indicator.
"Very shortly Kerala will become a force in Indian cricket."
Mathew said KCA would have its own infrastructure in another three years in Kozhikode.
"We have already started the initiative in this regard," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you