`MSD was a "bomb about to explode" before final`
Mumbai: After failing to score big in the run-up to the World Cup summit clash against Sri Lanka, Indian skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni resembled a "bomb about to explode" ahead of the final, teammate and Man of the Tournament Yuvraj Singh said.
"He (Dhoni) was not getting big scores in the tournament, but he kept working hard, and did not miss a single practice session. Watching him in the nets gave one the impression that he was a `bomb about to explode`," Yuvraj wrote in the Cricket Board`s latest quarterly newsletter dedicated to India`s World Cup triumph.
"Looking back, I am glad he `exploded` in the final, and not earlier! He went in ahead of me in that game, but that was purely to keep the left-right combination going in the middle. He had a point to prove and he played an innings of a lifetime," the left-handed big-hitter said.
Dhoni went in ahead of man-in-form Yuvraj when the final was on a knife-edge at the Wankhede Stadium with India at 114 for 3 in the 22nd over chasing a target of 275.
The Indian skipper, in the company of left-handed opener Gautam Gambhir (96) first and then Yuvraj (21 not out), smashed an unconquered 91 off only 79 balls with eight fours and two sixes - including the winning hit off Nuwan Kulasekara - to power India to victory.
Yuvraj wrote in the article that the Ranchi-born captain takes to "pressure like a fish to water" and that he was lucky to "have the best view of the captain`s winning hit".
Yuvraj, who excelled with both the bat (362 runs from nine games) and ball (15 wickets) recalled that the defeat to South Africa in the league stage at Nagpur was the turning point of the Indian team`s triumphant run which fetched the country its World Cup title after 28 years.
"The defeat against South Africa was the turning point of our campaign. Our batting and fielding was disappointing in that game, and we worked hard on both areas over the next few days. A top priority was to build partnerships in the middle," he wrote.
India were all out for 296 in the match against the Proteas on March 12 at Nagpur, and then their bowlers and fielders allowed the South Africans reply with 300 for 7 and win with two balls to spare.
About his left-arm bowling, Yuvraj said that he tried to keep it simple and was rewarded.
"I had to do a lot of bowling, being the only left arm spinner in the side, and it was something I enjoyed immensely. I tried to keep it simple and straight, and had some good spells, the best of the lot being the five-wicket haul (5 for 31 at Bangalore) against Ireland," he said.
Recalling the great Indian run to the title, Dhoni wrote that the victory over three-time defending champions Australia at Ahmedabad`s Motera Stadium was the turn-around for his team.
"D-day was 24 March, when we took on the defending champions in the quarter-final at Ahmedabad. We restricted the Aussies to a gettable score, and then our batsmen did a professional job," he has written.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!