`Oz Ashes squad composition caused uncertainty among players`
Melbourne: Western Australia coach Mickey Arthur believes that the selectors have erred in making Mike Hussey and Marcus North fight over their positions in the Test team by including two potential replacements in the squad.
The coach said the veteran pair should be looking at today`s Sheffield Shield match at the MCG against Victoria as a warm-up for the Ashes, rather than a direct competition between them and new comers Usman Khawaja and Callum Ferguson.
"I would`ve thought that you`d like them to go into this sort of game using it [solely] as a good practice run for the Test match without the doubts that are created by bringing one or two younger players into the squad," The Age quoted Arthur, as saying.
He said the inclusion of Khawaja and Ferguson was probably a warning for Hussey and North, and added that it would be "a little bit silly" to axe players with such experience on the eve of such a crucial series.
Arthur also questioned the wisdom of releasing a 17-man squad 10 days out from the match.
"I`m not sure if that`s the way to go. With a big series you want your team to be structured, your team to be settled.
"It`s clear Australia have one or two doubts over certain positions. I guess that [is intended to] bring the best out of players this week before the first Test in Brisbane," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea