`Pakistan women`s team showed courage by playing in India`
Lahore: Chairperson of the Pakistan Cricket Board women`s wing Bushra Aitzaz said the national team had shown lot of courage by going to play in India in the ICC World Cup and other countries, including India, must now reciprocate by playing in Pakistan.
"They were direct threats against our team and they were threats that our team will not be allowed to play in India. But we still sent our team which showed lot of courage going to India in such circumstances," Bushra Aitzaz, the women`s wing chairperson, said.
"The board sent the team because it didn`t want the World Cup or international cricket to suffer or become a talking point," she said.
"Our point of view was clear that it was the responsibility of the Indian government to ensure security of our players and such threats should not stop or disrupt international cricket activities," she said.
Bushra, who is the wife of well known politician and lawyer, Aitzaz Ahsan said India should also send its team to Pakistan now.
"Security is an issue everywhere in the world but when we are willing to do everything to provide comfort and security to visiting teams they should also reciprocate and support us by playing in Pakistan," she said.
Pakistan captain, Sana Mir also agreed that the team had shown great courage to go and play in India in trying circumstances and despite well documented threats.
"Obviously it played on the player`s minds but we went because we feel other teams must also understand the situation Pakistan cricket is going through and they must also come," she said.
The Pakistan team had its World Cup pool matches moved from Mumbai to Cuttuck and they had to stay at the clubhouse in the stadium because of the threats from hardline and nationalist Indian parties and groups to not allow them to play on Indian soil.
Pakistan which went to the World Cup with high hopes lost all its matches in the qualifying rounds and also the playoff for seventh place against India.
Mir also called for more support and financial incentives for women`s team.
"So far the board has supported women`s cricket in Pakistan but the rest have all been verbal promises. It is time others also came and supported us," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!