`Retiring` Ponting `amazing player` but not needed for Ashes, says Clarke
Sydney: Australian cricket captain Michael Clarke has praised former skipper Ricky Ponting as an `amazing player` following Ponting`s announcement that he was retiring from all forms of competitive cricket in October, although he said that the former skipper is not needed for the Ashes.
Ponting, who quit international cricket after the Perth Test against South Africa last December but continued playing in domestic games, the Indian Premier League and Surrey, has now revealed that he will play his last game for Mumbai in the Champions League Twenty20 tournament in October.
Dismissing suggestions that Ponting could have been a last-minute addition to the Australian squad, Clarke said that although Ponting has contributed a lot to the game, he would not be back for the Ashes as he has retired from the national team, adding that they have a new team now and are looking forward to the series.
Agreeing with Clarke, Ponting said that he felt that his time is up, adding that although he is enjoying playing like before, he believed that it is the right time for him to finish playing.
Ponting further said that with his body and mind both in a good shape, he is confident that he would be enjoying the last few months before the next stage of life began for him, adding that winning the Sheffield Shield with Tasmania last summer was the perfect way to bid farewell to Australian fans.
Ponting has said that he is considering career options in the cricket media as well as pursuing commercial opportunities.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed