`South Africa`s U-turn forced SL to abstain from voting`
Colombo: Sri Lanka Sports Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage on Monday said the Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) had no other choice but to abstain from voting during the ICC Board meeting in Singapore, after South Africa did U-turn on the Big Three`s plan to revamp the ICC structure.
"When Haroon Lorgat said South Africa was to back it, we had no choice but to abstain from voting. We were banking on South Africa`s opposition," Aluthgamage told reporters here.
The Minister said that the SLC Secretary Nishantha Ranatunga consulted him on the phone from Singapore on Lorgat`s about turn.
"We never expected that," he added. Sri Lanka alongwith Pakistan abstained at the crucial ICC reforms plan vote in Singapore held on Saturday.
Cricket South Africa was originally not in favour of International Cricket Council`s structural revamp, but they later welcomed the agreement, terming it as "significantly different" to the original proposals tabled in January.
The proposals were carried with a majority voting in favour of the "Big Three` -- India (BCCI), England (ECB) and Australia (CA).
Aluthgamage, however, said Sri Lanka had noted some positives in the amended plan, such as retaining of the FTP.
Having abstained at the meeting, SLC announced they would further seek a mandate locally to deal with the revised ICC proposals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof