`Sword hanging` over Whatmore, Pak players over flop CT performance
Karachi: The Pakistan cricket team and their coach Dav Whatmore have reportedly come under the scanner, with Whatmore in danger of losing his contract, following the team`s devastating show in the ICC Champions Trophy.
Even as the team prepares for the upcoming tour of the West Indies, the proverbial sword hangs over the players and Whatmore, who was, however allowed to serve his two-year term with backing from the now suspended chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), Mohammad Zaka Ashraf, the Express Tribune reports.
However, a source close to the PCB said that the officials, who previously backed Whatmore, do not have much evidence now to defend him as there has been no significant improvement even after over a year under Whatmore, who was hired because of his high-profile reputation.
According to the source, the sacking of former Australian coach Mickey Arthur after the team`s Champions Trophy failure before the Ashes , have also contributed to the authorities` thinking, adding that the PCB has the right to remove coaches on the basis of performance.
The source further said that interim PCB chairman Najam Sethi is also not too happy with the performance of the coach as he took over at the time when Pakistan flopped badly in the Champions Trophy, adding that Sethi was assessing everything himself in order to prepare a report.
The source also said that the upcoming West Indies series is important for the team management to consider the future of the players and the coach, adding that the one-day international careers of senior players like Shahid Afridi are also at stake in this tour.
The source also said that there is a possibility that former coach Mohsin Khan might be offered a key role excluding the vacant chief selector post as he is more interested in field work.
However, under Whatmore, who is reportedly drawing two million rupees monthly from his contract, Pakistan won the Asia Cup in March 2012 and then beat India in a bilateral ODI series, besides winning the Twenty20 series against Australia and South Africa.
Although Pakistan have not won a single Test under Whatmore as they lost their series against Sri Lanka and suffered a 3-0 whitewash at the hands of South Africa, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!