`Tired players should skip IPL instead of national duty`
Melbourne: Slamming Cricket Australia`s rotation policy for players, former national selector Jamie Cox said those who are worried about fatigue should consider skipping the cash-rich Indian Premier League in April-May.
"The crux of the issue is that blokes get six weeks off a year under the (players` association) Memorandum of Understanding and some of them choose to use that time to play T20 cricket," Cox was quoted as saying by a Australian daily.
"If we are really serious it`s how do we co-exist with T20 cricket? Some have made the sacrifice. Mitchell Johnson has done that, Michael Clarke, Ricky Ponting have foregone IPL contracts in the national interest and not cashed in on the riches but that is a big call to make," he said.
Australia`s rotation of fast bowlers and key players such as Shane Watson has been criticised by former cricketers like Shane Warne, Allan Border and Brett Lee. All of them feel that it was easy to get a national call-up for even average players because of this policy.
"I know what AB and Binga are saying and that is the view and reckon that is probably the view I take as well," said Cox.
"I didn`t get to play for Australia and don`t like the fact that some blokes seem to be getting games a bit easily. It irks me as well but having sat in the chair I know it is more complicated than just pick the best team," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown