16 teams to battle for T20 JPL Cup from tomorrow in Jammu
Jammu: Sixteen teams from 10 districts of Jammu division will vie for top honours in the T20 Jammu Premier League, which will commence in Reasi district from Tuesday.
“ The tournament has been divided into four pools with top two teams from each group qualifying for the semifinals for the prestigious Tawi Cup from April 17- 27”, said a senior Army official.
Besides the trophy, the winning team will get a cash prize of Rs 5 lakh with Rs 3 lakh going to the runner up team, he said, adding that the best three players of the tournament will be recommended for training at the best cricket academies of the country.
The first phase of the tournament was conducted in February and March with 138 teams from across the Jammu region taking part for intra district matches in phase-I.
The best 16 district teams were selected for the Phase II. The second phase of the cricket tournament is the largest sporting event in Jammu region.
The districts of Jammu, Doda, Kishtwar, Rajouri, Poonch, Udhampur, Reasi, Samba and Kathua will field the teams.
The Army has also gone for a makeover for the teams with catchy suffixes like Reasi Royals, Jammu Riders, Rajouri Rajas, Doda Lions, Kishtwar Kings, Ramban Warriors, Jammu Jaanbaaz, Kathua Knights and Poonch Thunderbolts.
Entry for the opening ceremony and all the matches is free.
Earlier, at the conclusion of JPL Phase-I at Reasi, the Minister for Youth Services and Sports, R S Chib said that the tournament was a joint venture of his department, J&K State Sports Council, the state`s cricket association and the Rashtriya Rifles.
He had said the event will be conducted on a grand scale in which premier cricket clubs from across the Jammu region would participate.
He also said that the objective of holding such a mega event is to give fillip to sporting activities, particularly in rural and far-off pockets of the J&K State.
Referring to the successful conduct of Kashmir Premier League in Kashmir division last year, the minister had said that the same process will be followed in this tournament also.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi