16 teams to battle for T20 JPL Cup from tomorrow in Jammu
Jammu: Sixteen teams from 10 districts of Jammu division will vie for top honours in the T20 Jammu Premier League, which will commence in Reasi district from Tuesday.
“ The tournament has been divided into four pools with top two teams from each group qualifying for the semifinals for the prestigious Tawi Cup from April 17- 27”, said a senior Army official.
Besides the trophy, the winning team will get a cash prize of Rs 5 lakh with Rs 3 lakh going to the runner up team, he said, adding that the best three players of the tournament will be recommended for training at the best cricket academies of the country.
The first phase of the tournament was conducted in February and March with 138 teams from across the Jammu region taking part for intra district matches in phase-I.
The best 16 district teams were selected for the Phase II. The second phase of the cricket tournament is the largest sporting event in Jammu region.
The districts of Jammu, Doda, Kishtwar, Rajouri, Poonch, Udhampur, Reasi, Samba and Kathua will field the teams.
The Army has also gone for a makeover for the teams with catchy suffixes like Reasi Royals, Jammu Riders, Rajouri Rajas, Doda Lions, Kishtwar Kings, Ramban Warriors, Jammu Jaanbaaz, Kathua Knights and Poonch Thunderbolts.
Entry for the opening ceremony and all the matches is free.
Earlier, at the conclusion of JPL Phase-I at Reasi, the Minister for Youth Services and Sports, R S Chib said that the tournament was a joint venture of his department, J&K State Sports Council, the state`s cricket association and the Rashtriya Rifles.
He had said the event will be conducted on a grand scale in which premier cricket clubs from across the Jammu region would participate.
He also said that the objective of holding such a mega event is to give fillip to sporting activities, particularly in rural and far-off pockets of the J&K State.
Referring to the successful conduct of Kashmir Premier League in Kashmir division last year, the minister had said that the same process will be followed in this tournament also.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged