2012 T20 World Cup: Arthur says good start by openers crucial for Australia’s chances
Sydney: Australia coach Mickey Arthur has said a good start in every match at the Twenty20 World Cup, scheduled to start on September 18 in Sri Lanka, would be crucial for their chances.
Australia warmed up for their opening clash with Ireland in Colombo on September 19 by playing a three-match series against Pakistan in Dubai, which Pakistan won 2-1.
In the final ODI, which Australia won, openers Shane Watson (47) and David Warner (59) shared an Australian record partnership of 111 in a total of 7-168 and Pakistan were bowled out for their lowest-ever score of 74 in reply.
“It was an important win for us so we could get a little bit of momentum and take that into Sri Lanka. The guys are building. The guys are coming into some form now, which is very, very pleasing,” Arthur said.
“If you lose early wickets in this kind of format and you play a tentative brand you get yourself into trouble and that`s where we were in game one. It just shows the beginning of each of your innings is crucial,” he added.
“If your openers get you off to a really good start, you get momentum and it sets you up for a score. And then if your opening bowlers start the same way and you take early wickets, you can put the opposition under some real pressure,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30