2nd ODI: Pakistan stun South Africa by one run to clinch series
Zee Media Bureau
Port Elizabeth: South Africa once again fell inches short of a win when Pakistan snatched victory from the jaws of defeat and stunned the hosts in the second ODI played at the St George`s Park, Port Elizabeth and won it by one run.
The Proteas needed nine runs to win from the last over with JP Duminy and David Miller at the crease. Miller took a single off the first ball and Junaid Khan dismissed Duminy off the second. Junaid conceded just three runs off the next three balls and South Africa needed six runs off the last ball. Junaid bowled another perfect yorker which went for 4 leg byes and Pakistan won the match.
Earlier batting first, Pakistan opener Ahmed Shehzad scored a magnificent century (102) and with useful contributions from the middle order batsmen, Pakistan reached a respectable score of 262 runs.
While in-form batsman Sohaib Maqsood scored 42 runs, Umar Akmal too played some magnificent strokes in his 42-run knock. Shehzad and Maqsood were involved in a 144-run partnership for the third wicket.
In reply, the hosts lost the wicket of Graeme Smith early on, after which Quinton de Kock and Hashim Amla added 87 runs for the second wicket. The South African innings witnessed another crucial partnership where AB de Villiers and Amla added 110 runs for the fourth wicket partnership. But once AB was dismissed by Junaid Khan, wickets fell in quick successions and the hosts fell just one run short from winning the second ODI.
With one match remaining, Pakistan have now already won the series by winning the first two matches. Ahmed Shehzad was adjudged the Man of the Match for his stupendous knock.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note