2nd Test: Bangladesh step closer to a draw in Sri Lanka Test
Chittagong: Bangladesh were a session away from forcing a draw in the second and final Test against Sri Lanka in Chittagong after a defiant batting display on the fifth day on Saturday.
The hosts, who needed to bat out their second innings after being set an improbable target of 467, were 204-3 at tea at the Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury stadium.
Mominul Haque was unbeaten on 71 and Shakib Al Hasan was on 13, the pair having added 53 runs for the fourth wicket.
Sri Lanka have one more session to claim the remaining seven wickets and sweep the short series after winning the first Test by an innings and 248 runs in Dhaka.
Bangladesh, who began the day at 12-0, lost two wickets in a tense morning session to go to lunch at 91-2.
Tamim Iqbal and Shamsur Rahman put on 71 for the first wicket, before both openers fell in the space of 10 runs.
Tamim made 31 when he was bowled by leg-spinner Kithuruwan Vithanage, who was bowling for the first time in his short four-Test career.
Rahman, a century-maker in the first innings, looked in fine touch during his knock of 45 when he was bowled by off-spinner Dilruwan Perera.
Imrul Kayes, who also got a hundred in the previous innings, helped Mominul add 70 for the third wicket on either side of lunch before he was leg-before to Perera for 25.
Sri Lanka missed spin spearhead Rangana Herath and seamer Shaminda Eranga, who both flew home before the Test to recuperate from injuries.
Perera was the most impressive bowler for the tourists, conceding just 36 runs in 21 steady overs for his two wickets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video