2nd Test, Day 2: Mahela Jayawardene's ton puts Sri Lanka on top against Pakistan
Dubai: Mahela Jayawardene, batting with three stitches in his left hand, ignored the pain to complete his 32nd test hundred and put Sri Lanka firmly in the driving seat in the second test against Pakistan in Dubai on Thursday.
The 36-year-old (106 not out) added 91 for the unbroken fifth wicket with captain Angelo Mathews (42 not out) to take Sri Lanka to 318 for four at the close on the second day, a first-innings lead of 153 runs.
The stylish right-handed batsman, who was injured while fielding at slip on the opening day, punched the air in delight after reaching the century mark with a delicate late cut boundary off fast bowler Bilawal Bhatti.
Jayawardene had last scored a test hundred in April 2012 against England at home and had been dismissed cheaply by Bhatti in both innings of the drawn first test in Abu Dhabi.
He also added 139 with opener Kaushal Silva (95), who fell short of his maiden test hundred, for the fourth wicket after Pakistan had pegged back Sri Lanka with two early strikes in the morning.
The Pakistan bowlers toiled hard but failed to dislodge the pair as Sri Lanka remained unscathed in the afternoon session.
Part-time off-spinner Mohammad Hafeez finally broke the partnership when he dismissed Silva leg before after the batsman failed to connect with a sweep shot.
The diminutive right-hander trudged back to the dressing room after an unsuccessful attempt to review the umpire`s decision.
Jayawardene, on 26, successfully overturned an lbw decision off paceman Rahat Ali on review while wicketkeeper Sarfraz Ahmed dropped an edge from Mathews later off the same bowler to add to Pakistan`s frustration.
Rahat had struck early to send back Kumar Sangakkara (26) leg before while his fast bowling colleague Junaid Khan dismissed Dinesh Chandimal (12), batting at number four due to Jayawardene`s injury, to reduce Sri Lanka to 88 for three.
Yet frontline spinner Saeed Ajmal`s failure to trouble the batsmen and a docile pitch ensured Sri Lanka took a healthy first-innings lead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'