2nd Test: Sangakkara, Jayawardene rebuild for Sri Lanka
Chittagong: Veterans Kumar Sangakkara and Mahela Jayawardene shared an unbroken 147-run partnership to lead Sri Lanka`s recovery after a shaky start in the second Test against Bangladesh here on Tuesday.
The tourists, who won the first Test by an innings and 248 runs in Dhaka last week, bounced back from 49-2 to 196-2 at tea on the opening day at the Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury stadium.
Left-handed Sangakkara followed his 75 in the first Test with an unbeaten 96 that included 11 boundaries and two sixes.
Jayawardene, who scored 203 not out in Dhaka, continued his good form with 54 not out as the Bangladesh bowlers failed to take a wicket in the post-lunch session.
Bangladesh, chasing a series-levelling win, seemed set for a long haul after Sri Lanka won the toss and chose to bat.
But they removed both openers in quick succession just after the drinks break to share the morning session which ended with Sri Lanka on 71-2. Openers Dimuth Karunaratne and Kaushal Silva managed just eight runs in the first eight overs and plodded to 30-0 after 15 when Bangladesh broke through.
Off-spinner Sohag Gazi, who shared the new ball with Al-Amin Hossain, claimed first Test century-maker Silva leg-before for 11.
Left-hander Karunaratne settled in to score 31 but then slashed at a wide ball from Al-Amin and was caught at point to make Sri Lanka 49-2. Sangakkara, who reached his half-century by lofting Mohammad Mahmudullah for a six over mid-wicket, lit up proceedings further with three boundaries in one over from Gazi.
Sri Lanka went into the Test without frontline left-arm spinner Rangana Herath and seamer Shaminda Eranga, who were both ordered to return home due to injuries. They were replaced by off-spinner Ajantha Mendis and paceman Nuwan Pradeep, the only changes from the side that won the first Test.
Bangladesh brought in batsman Imrul Kayes, all-rounder Mahmudullah and left-arm spinner Abdur Razzak in place of Marshall Ayub, Rubel Hossain and Robiul Islam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan