3rd Test, Day 4: Pakistan push Sri Lanka hard for series-levelling win
Sharjah: Pakistan grabbed the prized wicket of Mahela Jayawardene to press their advantage for a series-levelling win over Sri Lanka in the third Test in Sharjah on Sunday.
Off-spinner Saeed Ajmal removed Jayawardene for 46 near stumps on the fourth day after an exciting tussle between the bat and ball as Sri Lanka finished at 133-5.
They now lead by 220 runs with five wickets in hand and a full day`s play to retain their 1-0 lead.
They won the second Test in Dubai by nine wickets after the first ended in a draw in Abu Dhabi.
At the close Angelo Mathews was unbeaten on 14 and with him Prasanna Jayawardene was on six not out.
Jayawardene and Mathews had frustrated Pakistan in the last session through their slow-paced 38-run fifth wicket stand and when it seemed both will see off the day, Ajmal had Jayawardene caught at short-leg.
Ajmal could have had Prasanna caught behind off his gloves on nought but wicketkeeper Sarfraz Ahmed failed to hold the catch, much to Pakistan`s desperation.
Jayawardene, who struck 129 in Sri Lanka`s nine wicket win in the second Test in Dubai, swept Ajmal over deep square-leg for a six to complete 11,000 runs in his 141st Test.
He became the eighth batsman in all Test cricket and the first Sri Lankan to score 11,000 or more runs in a list topped by now-retired India`s Sachin Tendulkar with 15,921.
Australia Ricky Ponting (13,378), South Africa`s Jack Kallis (13,289), India`s Rahul Dravid (13,288), West Indian Brian Lara (11,953), his countryman Shivnarine Chanderpaul (11,219) and Australia`s Allan Border (11,174) are the other members of the club.
Jayawardene hit four boundaries and a six during his defiant knock.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP