3rd Test, Day 4: Pakistan push Sri Lanka hard for series-levelling win
Sharjah: Pakistan grabbed the prized wicket of Mahela Jayawardene to press their advantage for a series-levelling win over Sri Lanka in the third Test in Sharjah on Sunday.
Off-spinner Saeed Ajmal removed Jayawardene for 46 near stumps on the fourth day after an exciting tussle between the bat and ball as Sri Lanka finished at 133-5.
They now lead by 220 runs with five wickets in hand and a full day`s play to retain their 1-0 lead.
They won the second Test in Dubai by nine wickets after the first ended in a draw in Abu Dhabi.
At the close Angelo Mathews was unbeaten on 14 and with him Prasanna Jayawardene was on six not out.
Jayawardene and Mathews had frustrated Pakistan in the last session through their slow-paced 38-run fifth wicket stand and when it seemed both will see off the day, Ajmal had Jayawardene caught at short-leg.
Ajmal could have had Prasanna caught behind off his gloves on nought but wicketkeeper Sarfraz Ahmed failed to hold the catch, much to Pakistan`s desperation.
Jayawardene, who struck 129 in Sri Lanka`s nine wicket win in the second Test in Dubai, swept Ajmal over deep square-leg for a six to complete 11,000 runs in his 141st Test.
He became the eighth batsman in all Test cricket and the first Sri Lankan to score 11,000 or more runs in a list topped by now-retired India`s Sachin Tendulkar with 15,921.
Australia Ricky Ponting (13,378), South Africa`s Jack Kallis (13,289), India`s Rahul Dravid (13,288), West Indian Brian Lara (11,953), his countryman Shivnarine Chanderpaul (11,219) and Australia`s Allan Border (11,174) are the other members of the club.
Jayawardene hit four boundaries and a six during his defiant knock.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered