AB de Villiers, Mignon du Preez to lead Proteas in World T20
Johannesburg: A B de Villiers will lead South Africa at the ICC World Twenty20 to be held in Sri Lanka next month, while the Proteas women`s team will be captained by Mignon du Preez, CSA announced on Thursday.
The announcement marks the return of De Villiers, Jacques Kallis, Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel to the men`s squad after being rested for the triangular T20 series against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh in June.
"We have had basically the same squad together for the past year and many of them also produced stand-out performances at the Indian Premier League (IPL)," said CSA selection convener Andrew Hudson, adding that they were unable to consider Marchant de Lange because of injury.
"The Proteas will also have an excellent preparation for the World Twenty20 by finishing the England tour with three matches there, even though, they may be playing on a different surface to that they will find in Sri Lanka," Hudson said.
CSA National Proteas coach for women, Yashin Ebrahim, meanwhile, announced that Preez would lead the 14-member squad in the competition.
"She (du Preez) will be backed by some fine individual performers like vice-captain, Trisha Chetty, who is one of the best wicketkeepers in the world and is also ranked among the top-10 specialist batsmen, Shandre Fritz who is our only player to have scored a century in this format and Sunette Loubser, last year`s SA Women`s Cricketer of the Year," Ebrahim said.
Men`s squad: AB de Villiers (capt), Hashim Amla, Farhaan Behardien, Johan Botha, JP Duminy, Faf du Plessis, Jacques Kallis, Richard Levi, Albie Morkel, Morne Morkel, Justin Ontong, Wayne Parnell, Robin Peterson, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe.
Womens` squad: Mignon du Preez (capt), Trisha Chetty, Susan Benade, Dinesha Devnarain, Shandre Fritz, Alison Hodgkinson, Shabnim Ismail, Marizanne Kapp, Ayabonga Khaka, Marcia Letsoalo, Sunette Loubser, Sune Luus, Yolandi van der Westhuizen, Dane van Niekerk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir