AB deserves South Africa captaincy: Jennings
Johannesburg: Royal Challengers Bangalore coach Ray Jennings has heaped praise on South Africa`s new limited overs captain AB de Villiers for his commitment on the field, saying he has been a "pillar of strength" in the IPL side`s runners-up finishing campaign in the Twenty20 league.
Jennings, also former South Africa national team coach, said that de Villiers deserved to captain South Africa as he has a "sharp cricket brain" and "leads by example".
"AB has a sharp cricket brain. He assesses situations quickly and acts accordingly. I certainly don`t believe that South African cricket made a mistake to appoint him as captain," said Jennings, whose RCB lost to the Chennai Super Kings in the final of the IPL.
"It really was a privilege to have AB in my team. He may not have had the best IPL with the bat, but the role he played in the team was of immense value.”
"He is someone who leads by example. He always pitches for training first and does not hesitate to offer young players advice during the net sessions. He was also a pillar of strength for our captain Daniel Vettori, who relied on him a lot on the field," he was quoted as saying by `Sport24` .
Jennings felt de Villiers` wicketkeeping will not suffer despite he has now added responsibility as a captain and batsman.
"I was also happy with his wicketkeeping and certainly don`t believe that it will suffer now that he has taken over the captaincy of South Africa."
De Viiliers was on Monday named South Africa ODI and Twenty20 captain after Graeme Smith stood down from the role after the national team`s World Cup debacle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy