Abhishek Nayar equals world record with 17-ball over
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Mumbai: All-rounder Abhishek Nayar created history for wrong reasons as he bowled a 17-ball over against South Zone in the semifinals of the Deodhar Trophy at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Guwahati.
The match was being played at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Guwahati and Nayar scalped a wicket off the first ball of the over as he bowled GH Vihari. Dinesh Karthik scored a couple off the next ball and the third ball was called wide, a decision which wasn’t appreciated by Nayar. The umpire rejected a lbw appeal off the next ball and then began the barrage of wide deliveries.
Nayar, playing for North Zone in the final of the Deodhar Trophy which they won by five wickets, ended bowling 10 wides and a no ball in that over.
"These things happen. I had a bad day and I was not provoked by the umpire`s call," Nayar told a leading daily.
Pakistani pacer Mohammad Sami holds the record in ODIs, with his famous 17-ball over against Bangladesh in an Asia Cup match in 2004.
West Zone won the game with nine overs remaining as Nayar ended with figures of 7-0-49-2 with two crucial wickets of Hanuma Vihari and CM Gautam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test