Afghan team ends Pakistan`s intl cricket isolation
Islamabad: Afghanistan`s cricket squad arrived in the capital city on Monday to began what will be the first official tour by any foreign team to Pakistan since the March 2009 attack on the Sri Lankans in Lahore.
The Afghanistan team is due to play three one-day matches against the Pakistan `A` side in Islamabad, Rawalpindi and Faisalabad.
Afghanistan are the first foreign squad to tour the strife-torn nation since militants attacked the Sri Lankan team, killing six policemen and a van driver and wounding five Sri Lankan players and their assistant coach.
"It is a very significant tour for Pakistan cricket and we will ensure that the visitors are provided with the best possible security measures," an official of the Pakistan Cricket Board said.
Pakistan`s former captain and wicket-keeper, Rashid Latif is the head coach of the Afghanistan squad.
The board has sought security assurances from the government for the series with PCB chairman Ijaz Butt holding a meeting with interior minister, Rehman Malik last week.
A source in the interior ministry said that Malik had issued special instructions to provide top security cover to the visiting team.
"After the attack by militants on the Pakistan Naval airbase in Karachi, the government is now taking no chances with security for the visiting team and there is already a high alert in the country," the source said.
Rashid said the tour was important for his team as it was their first opportunity to play an official series in Pakistan.
"We wanted to play a full international series but this was not possible due to then international commitments of the Pakistan national team," Latif said.
"If we can do well in this series it will open up opportunities for the Afghan team to also play against other test playing nations in bilateral series. This is an official tour and every tour has its significance," he added.
The PCB officials hoped the tour could be a small step towards revival of international cricket in Pakistan.
Afghanistan have impressed many cricket pundits with their zest for the sport and rapid improvement on the international stage as they also qualified for the Twenty20 World Cup last year and narrowly missed out on qualifying for the main World Cup held this year.
Latif guided Afghanistan to a stunning win over the Pakistan A side in the Asian Games last year while the Afghanis also won the ICC`s four-day matches competition for Associate teams last year.
The Afghan team is led by all-rounder Nawroz Mangal, who has played 16 one-dayers and eight Twenty20 matches for his country.
Pakistan`s `A` team will be led by paceman Sohail Tanvir.
Afghanistan squad: Nawroz Mangal (c), Mohammad Nabi (v-c), Asghar Stanikzai, Mohammad Shahzad, Karim Sadiq, Hamid Hassan, Noor Ali Zadran, Shapoor Zadran, Samiullah Shinwari, Shabir Noori, Javed Ahmedi, Dawlat Zadran, Nasimullah Khan, Gulbadin Naib, Mirwais Ashraf, Izzat Ullah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark